Thursday, July 7, 2011

Social Network Gaming: Day 6

FarmVille - Day 6
 
      After 6 days, I am finally starting to get comfy with the various games. Each one has its perks and each one has its quirks. For example, my purchasing of the expensive crops in FarmVille is finally starting to pay off and I have a pretty good cash flow, but I have only been able to get one neighbor and won't be able to expand unless I am able to convert others to play, or dish out some real world cash. Other than that my farm is pretty sweet, don't you think?
In general the other games are going pretty well, some better than others. I feel like the simulation game are going to be the most rewarding, however the asynchronous competitive games like Words with Friends and Bejeweled Blitz are the easiest for my lifestyle.

I have learned that hard way that if you don't like pop-up ads, or constant reminders that you can purchase things in the game with real money, that this is not the game for you. Every time you play the game you are shrouded in constant pop-ups with in-game advertisements, recommendations, and messages. When you are juggling 5 games, it makes it even more frustrating to have to deal with all of them. Not to mention that no matter what happens in the game you are prompted to share it via a Facebook post. If you level up, clobber a snake, or killed a columbian drug lord, the game wants you to share it with your friends.

I also remember during the big social network gaming boom hit several years ago, how annoying it was to get the constant status updates and invites to the various games from friends. I now know why that is, the games have been specifically developed to be viral and force you to invite friends. If you do not, you will literally be stuck and not be able to expand your gameplay. Facebook has made it easy to ignore the posts which means no one is really getting my requests, and I feel like a total hypocrite for sending them. I really want to perform this hobby to the fullest, but I also don't want my friends to start ignoring me. I'm thinking the solution would be to make my intentions with the game known, and let people make their own decision on whether to help or not. Maybe it will be good press for the blog? who knows?


City of Wonders - Day 6
City of Wonders
My Civilization has really slowed down. I don't have enough money to create a market, and I need market to create money. I was able to expand my land but now I don't have the money for buildings. There appears to be a conecpt or two that I have yet to learn. 







Mafia Wars - Day 6
Mafia Wars
This game is getting very repetitive, very quickly. I login, perform a few jobs, rob a few buildings, collect from my properties then log out until my energy and stamina replenish. Several of the jobs require items that I have no idea how to get. I may have to hit up a Wiki and see if I can find some answers.









Bejeweled Blitz - Day 6
Bejeweled Blitz
Practice has made perfect with this game. You really have to practice a few times before you waste money on boosts and really go for the high score. There is some sort of visual acuity that you need to warm up in order to recognize where jewels can be combined. After playing a couple rounds of practice, I wasn't having a problem getting scores over 100,000. There appears to be some sort of leveling involved with the game but I'm not sure what it amounts too.
  




FrontierVille - Day 6

 FrontierVille
 would say I am having the most fun with this game. Its quick, its pretty, and I actually have friends that play this. I realized that the shrubbery re-growing is actually a good thing. As you clear out shrubbery, you get special drops that create collections that you sell to get unique items and materials for building. They definitely do not make it easy to expand your land. In addition to having to spend money, you have to complete quests which require interacting with friends 6 times.




Words with Friends
I'm pretty much status quo (ohh...good word) with this one. I have some pretty consist ant friends who I have been playing with and its really easy to pop on for a minutes here and there to update the game. Also, Qi is the worst word ever in words with friends. Its so easy to use and usually screws up the board for everyone else. I'm not saying I haven't used it, I am just saying that I constantly screws up the board.


No comments:

Post a Comment